Tuesday 27 August 2013

Two types of interface

Two types of interface
The Zip drive exists in different versions:
l   Internal and external
l   For SCSI and to floppy/parallel port
The SCSI model is by far the fastest. That is really good. If your SCSI controller is installed with
Windows 95, you just have to install the drive with two screws and two cables and you are in
business.
The parallel port version is good, because it can be connected to any PC. I have a boot
diskette, which includes a driver plus the program GUEST.EXE. I connect the drive to a parallel
port, and boot with the diskette. Then it is ready to run.
I have the quite fast SCSI version installed in my stationary PC. I use the somewhat slower
parallel port version "in the field."
My latest information is that 5 million Zip drives have been sold. This just about makes it a de
facto standard. The BIOS manufacturers AMI and Phoenix include the floppy version of the
drive in their programs as a boot device. That will eliminate the need for other drivers, and you
An illustrated Guide to Magneto-Optical drives.

No comments:

Post a Comment